So you’ve just finished dinner and have some steak leftover, or that huge amount of turkey after the holidays, well… you get the idea. Re-use it! Freeze the leftover meats until you have enough. And make sure to keep all of its juices, gravy or whatever else that was with the meat.
Once you have enough different types of leftover meats, you can finally put them to good use by making these croquettes. As you will see the measurements were from the meats I had in the freezer. The main idea to to create a similar ratio of beef/poultry/pork.
And a big thank you to my Dancer who decorated the plates so beautifully!
3 cups of ground presunto / prosciutto or some type of salt cured meat
4 cups beef leftovers
5 cups of smoked turkey leftovers
4 cups of chicken leftovers
6 cups of pork leftovers
2 large onions
8 cloves garlic
For the Béchamel
2 bars of salted butter
4 cups of all-purpose gluten-free flour
10 cups of milk
3 to 5 eggs
fine gluten-free breadcrumbs
oil to fry
- Thaw all of the meats them grind them.
- Make the Béchamel sauce by first melting the butter in a large pot, then adding the flour and mixing well until attaining a smooth paste. Add the milk a cup at the time so to blend it all nicely, and stir constantly until you create a nice smooth cream.
- Add the meats and adjust with seasonings to taste.
- Let it simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove it from heat, let it cool then place it in the fridge overnight.
- Next day in the first bowl beat the eggs, in the second add the breadcrumbs.
- Create “tubes” with the meat paste, then pass them through eggs then the breadcrumbs and place them neatly in a tray to freeze them for an hour or so.
- Once frozen, you can immediately fry them, or put them in freezer bags to be fried at a later date.