Ever had these little things? I love love them and so does everyone at home. They are real cheap, usually you can find them frozen at supermarkets, fish monger or at Asian markets. I usually buy the whole fish, so head included. I scares people at first to see those tiny eyes, but they are so very fried that you barely notice them anyways.
What do they taste like? Well crunchy fried fish! They are a perfect snack and the best part is that you can do them ahead of time as they are awesome to eat cold. So once your guests arrive the house no longer smells of fried food!
A bunch of smelts (with or without heads!)
All purpose flour (I used rice flour which is nice and thin, this way it still sticks well to the fish, but is not packed with flour)
- Run then smelts through water, then place them in a bowl with cold water and some salt for about 1 hour.
- Remove the water and dry them nicely.
- Heat your deep fryer to 375 degrees or if making on top of the stove, fill a pan with oil and bring it to the same temperature.
- Place the smelts in a colander then sprinkle the flour all over them in such a way they are all nicely covered but without clunks of flour.
- Start frying them in small batches so they do not touch each other for about 5 minutes, or until nice and golden.
- Place them over some paper towel, or even better re-use those brown paper bags from grocery stores.
- Place them on a plate and start enjoyed them!