A very simple and cheap recipe that fills lots of stomachs. This is a recipe I grew up with and absolutely love making it as soon as the weather gets colder. Kids love it as it is cheesy and has lots of ham. You can easily substitute the cauliflower for brocoli if your kids prefer that. Or even better add both of them.
INGREDIENTS for the béchamel
1 stick of salt butter
2 cups of all-purpose gluten-free flour
6 cups of milk
salt and pepper to taste
INGREDIENTS for the gratin
3 cups of shredded cheese
5 cups of diced ham
1 cauliflower cut into small pieces
Extra cheese to use over the the top
- In a large pot add water with a bit of salt and cook the cauliflower for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a medium size pot melt the butter then add the flour and consistently mix to create a nice doughy well blended paste.
- Slowly add the milk and keep on incorporating it until forming a creamy sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Strain the cauliflower and add it to the béchamel along with the ham and cheese and mix it all together.
- Pour the whole thing into an oven-safe deep dish and place it in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Change the oven temperature from 375 to high boil (or about 475) for about 5 minutes then remove from the oven, let it rest 5 minutes and serve.